Focusing on the issues that matter most
Sustainable development is the distinctive, significant and characteristic centre of our overall approach to business.
Driving the integration of sustainable development at Rössing Uranium are the six themes highlighted below. These themes form the framework in which our business is conducted.
Everything we do is in line with the generally accepted definition of sustainable development, namely development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs.
This suggests that meeting the needs of future generations depends on how well we balance social, economic and environmental needs when making decisions today.
The aim of sustainable development is therefore to seek out win–win situations that can achieve environmental quality and increase economic wealth and social well-being, today and tomorrow.
Our sustainability vision remains focused on:
- creating long-lasting positive effects for the people of the Erongo Region and Namibia;
- building capacity to ensure that we contribute to the future well-being of our employees;
- minimising negative impacts and optimising positive ones; and
- maintaining our reputation as a responsible corporate citizen of Namibia.
When conducting our business we ensure that we maintain a balance in the way we:
- use our assets — both our own resources and environmental resources — to reflect our integrated approach in terms of profit, people and planet;
- contribute positively to the needs of society by providing support to communities without creating dependency; and
- generate economic wealth.